Saturday, May 10, 2008

Social activist gets his mandate

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/9/myrepresentative/21180524&sec=myrepresentative
By JAYAGANDI JAYARAJ

My ADUN: Bukit Gasing

Full name: Edward Lee Poh Lin
Party: DAP
Age: 58
Marital status: Married with three children
Education: A-level (Methodist Boys School, Kuala Lumpur)
Profession: Retired businessman


LONG before he was elected the assemblyman for Bukit Gasing, Edward Lee Poh Lim was already a well-known social activist in Petaling Jaya.

He was and remains the president of the Section 5 RA, protem president of All-PJ Pro Action Committee (APPAC) and an advisor of Condominium, Apartment and Highrise Committee (CAHC).

He has been an outspoken champion of issues connected with the well-being of the residents in the Bukit Gasing area in particular and in Petaling Jaya in general.

Lee became a well-known environmental crusader in 1999 when he, together with some neighbours, started a campaign to save Bukit Gasing when the then Petaling Jaya Municipal Council proposed to have the hill developed.

Lee won the Bukit Gasing state seat under the PJ Selatan parliamentary constituency at the recently-concluded 12th general election by beating incumbent assemblyman and the then state executive councillor Datuk Dr Lim Thuang Seng of Gerakan by a whopping 8,812-vote majority. Lim polled 15,735 votes while Lim obtained 6,923.

Becoming an assemblyman has given Lim the people's mandate and an extra punch in his crusade for the people's welfare.

The political greenhorn from the DAP said his schedule was now packed with activities and meetings of all sorts.

“There is always something happening. A meeting there and another here, I am always kept busy. It is certainly taxing and exhilarating at the same time. But I must keep going as I know the latest happening in the city and am also involved in the process of making things happen for the betterment of the community,” he said.

“I am more busy because I have to look after a bigger number of people,” said Lee, who lives with his wife Christina Lee and their three children in Bukit Gasing.


StarMetro: How much time to do you spend on the computer? Do you blog? And do you have a website?
Lee: About two hours each day. But I used to spend more time on the computer before I became an assemblyman. Yes, I do blog. My website is http://www.edwardleepj.blogspot.com/.

StarMetro: Do you play a musical instrument, dance or sing?
Lee: I used to play the organ but after many years I have lost touch. I can also sing and dance but not professionally.

StarMetro: What kind of music do you listen to?
Lee: I like Light and Easy. I listen sentimental music that is calming to the mind.

StarMetro: Name a favourite song.
Lee: Most songs I like are by Lionel Richie.

StarMetro: Are you into movies?
Lee: Yes, I go to the movies with my learning disabled friends once in a month.

StarMetro: Favourite actor?
Lee: Charlton Heston and Gregory Peck.

StarMetro: Favourite actress?
Lee: Jennifer Lopez.

StarMetro: What do you read?
Lee: I read mostly legal and spiritual books.

StarMetro: What was the last book you read?
Lee: Louder Than Words by Andy Stanley.

StarMetro: Are you into English Premier League football?
Lee: No.

StarMetro: If not football, what are your favourite sports?
Lee: Golf and badminton.

StarMetro: Coffee or tea?
Lee: Tea, Earl Grey.

StarMetro: What is your usual drink at dinner functions?
Lee: Red wine.

StarMetro: Got a nickname?
Lee: Uncle Ed. When I write to younger people, they reply by addressing me as Uncle Ed.

StarMetro: What languages can you speak?
Lee: English, Malay, German and Russian.

StarMetro: Do you smoke?
Lee: No. Never ever smoked.

StarMetro: What is the gadget you can't do without?
Lee: Handphone.

StarMetro: You have a weakness for ....
Lee: Shoes. I walk about a lot. I have about 10 pairs of shoes.

StarMetro: Do you have a dog or a cat?
Lee: I have a dog, a Basset Hound called Duke.

StarMetro: Any phobia?
Lee: Failure of any kind.

1 comment:

stanley said...

good to have such a simple and hard working ADUN "WORK FOR THE PEOPLE AND GOD WILL WORK FOR YOU"