Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lee threatens to contest as independent if left in the lurch

**Just to clarify, Edward never "threatened". There were rumours that he'd be dropped, and a reporter called up to ask what would he do if DAP were to drop him, and he merely replied that he'd run independent.

By Wani Muthiah
http://www.thestar.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/9/nation/9661678&sec=nation

PETALING JAYA: Bukit Gasing assemblyman Edward Lee (pic) is threatening to quit the party if he is dropped in the next general election.

Lee, who is speculated to be one of the four DAP incumbents to be dropped, said he would contest as an independent should the party leave him in a lurch.

“It's unfortunate as I am a long-time life member of the party.

“But I may have to make this drastic move because I still want to serve my constituents,” Lee said.

A party insider said Lee's declining health had been cited as the reason to replace him.

The other three are Kota Alam Shah assemblyman M. Manoharan, Balakong assemblyman Yap Lum Chin and Damansara Utama assemblyman Dr Cheah Wing Yin.

Lee said he was confident his constituents would back him if he chose to stand as an independent.

However, he said he would remain in the party should the DAP stand by him.

“If the party still wants me, I will be more than willing to contest on a DAP ticket in the next general election,” he added.

Lee said although he had some health problems, he was still well enough to serve his constituents.

“If I want to put my health on the line to serve my constituents, it is my business and no one else's,” he said.

Lee said that the move to oust him was politically motivated by those unhappy with him.

“I have been doing a lot of investigative work.

“Most of this has been published and some are uncomfortable with it,” Lee said.

He added that his experience as an activist had also not gone down well with his detractors.

He claimed his track record as an assemblyman was also good because he was “hands on” and “easily contactable” by his constituents.

No comments: